Ok, so Easter is right around the corner and being Polish I know that all the Polish housewives have been busy in the kitchen for the last two weeks. Probably baking babkas, hard boiling eggs, and maybe even painting them…
I am Polish and I don’t paint eggs this year but I painted my mashed potatoes green. And painted my potatoes not because it’s Easter time, but because green potatoes are delicious, healthy and they look really cool. I am sure you’ve never heard about anything like that. So today I wanted to share my secret green potatoes recipe with you. One disclosure: they are vegan but there is nothing to fear, because even the biggest mockers of veganism will ask for green potatoes seconds. So feel free to double or even triple the proportions in the recipe right away!
Green Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients (for 3-4 people):
- 1 lbs potatoes (preferably Golden Yukon)
- 1/2 head of garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 3 cups spinach (packed and chopped)
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Boil or steam potatoes with skin on (until soft and cooked through). Strain water, let potatoes slightly cool down and peel off the skin.
- Preheat frying pan to very high temperature, add olive oil and chopped garlic. Fry until garlic becomes golden-brown and slightly crunchy (be careful not to burn). Reduce the heat, add the spinach and steam under the cover until it softens and becomes wilted (approx. 5 minutes).
- Combine the contents of the frying pan (including any remaining olive oil) with peeled potatoes and season to your taste with salt. Mash everything using hand masher or food processor (stir until the potatoes will have a uniform green color).
- Serve with your favorite vegetables or protein.
Enjoy and Happy Spring!