What the springtime in Poland tastes like? It tastes like a new vegetable garden. It tastes like tiny, creamy new potatoes boiled with the skin on, tossed in fresh butter or buttermilk, and topped with fried, runny yolk egg. It tastes like fresh, chopped dill. It tastes like miniature, pale but the sweetest baby carrots and fresh green peas. This is the only time of the year when you can get all these flavors and combine them into one dinner that is so simple, yet delicious. You really have to taste this feast of Polish peasants.
The Polish springtime dinner
Shopping List (serves 2):
- 1 lb young potatoes (preferably Golden Yukon)
- 4-6 baby carrots (trimmed and unpeeled)
- 1 cup fresh snap peas (pods opened with a knife on one edge)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh dill (finely chopped)
- 2 Tbs fresh butter (unsalted)
- 1/2 cup natural yogurt or buttermilk
- black pepper
Now follow these steps:
- Steam potatoes until cooked thru.
- Heat up a large frying pan and toss all vegetables along with 2 tbsp of butter; season to taste with salt and black pepper and sear until lightly golden; add chopped dill and mix well.
- Heat up a second large frying pan; melt one spoon of butter and fry eggs sunny side up (if you want whites over egg yolks to get cooked as well and only leave the yolk runny, cover up the pan with a glass cover and cook for about 30-45 seconds until the egg becomes white over yolk); season with salt and pepper; immediately remove from the heat and serve over vegetables.
- Enjoy with splashes of natural yogurt or kefir.
Have a wonderful Spring!
Chcesz przeczytać po polsku? Kliknij tu: “Jak smakuje późna wiosna w Polsce?”