When I think of Spring Break, I think of jello shots. Although that may be what everyone longs for during a reckless college break party, I refuse to make the cliché jello shot that basics will no doubt, be downing. So, I decided to combine an American dive bar and Italian coffee bar tradition into one. I simply put an American classic famed by the Big Lebowski film into that old favorite jello shot. Dude, let me introduce the White Russian Jello Shot!
White Russian Jello Shot
Shopping List (makes 8-10 shots):
- 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin (0.24 oz = 7 g) or equivalent of agar (for vegan version)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2/3 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1/3 cup hot espresso
- 1/2 cup unflavored vodka
- 1 tbs brown cane sugar
- finely ground espresso coffee (optional)
- Kahlúa or similar coffee liquor (optional)
Now follow these steps:
- Sprinkle gelatin into cold water to soften.
- Warm up soy milk in the microwave and add with sugar to water with gelatin; keep stirring until thoroughly dissolved (make sure is smooth and has no gelatin lamps)
- Add hot espresso, vodka and stir until well combined.
- Chill until slightly thickens.
- Fold in some ground coffee (if you prefer some crunch in your shot) and refrigerate until jelled.
- If you like to treat this as a dessert you can serve it with coffee liquor.
To read this in Polish, click here: “Drink Big Lebowskiego czyli kawa, mleko, wódka… ale w galarecie”