Just as you would play with your sweetheart, you should play with your dessert! It is mandatory that this V-Day your dessert consists of an aphrodisiac. Which one is my favorite? Pomegranate! According to common knowledge, many other fruits serve as aphrodisiacs. If you want to make the magic happen, the list of fruits goes on and on: strawberries, cherries, watermelon, bananas and more. Let your imagination run wild, and use them in whichever way you desire. Just bake your favorite dessert and top it with fun fruits of any shape. Not the baker type of gal? Here is what to do.
Aphrodisiac Fruit Topped Cake
- prepackaged cake mix (you can choose the pink one for the Valentine’s Day) or ingredients for your own recipe cake
- 1 pomegranate (or 1 packed of fresh, already shelled pomegranate seeds)
- 1 heart shaped baking pan (or regular) or heart shaped cookie cutter
- red and white frosting
- cupcake liners (preferably pink or white)
Now follow these steps:
- Prepare cake according to your own recipe or instructions on the package; take it out of the oven and set on sturdy surface (if you don’t have the heart shaped baking pan use the regular one and then follow my instructions with cookie cutters, see 4).
- Frost the top of the cake by spreading a thin layer (you should be able to see thru) of red frosting with a butter knife, then spread over it one more thin layer of white frosting with the same butter knife and gently blend colors together with the knife (you should be able to obtain a nice pinkish mélange of white and red).
- Place cake back in the still warm oven for about 5 minutes; take it out of the oven, top frosting decoratively with pomegranate seeds and let it cool down.
- If you used regular baking pan and want cute heart shaped cakes, cut cake into about 1“ thick slices; using cookie cutters cut hearts from the slices (see picture below); place them on the cupcake liners and top with pomegranate seeds (you can also frost them the same way as you frosted the entire cake).
Voile and Happy Valentine’s Day!